The Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley (“APABA-SV”) is now accepting submissions from those interested in serving as a 2016 APABA-SV Officer, Board Member, Committee Chair, or Committee Member. General requirements, responsibilities and a list of positions are provided below.Read More
Submission Deadline: 5:00PM Sunday, November 30, 2014
The Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley (“APABA-SV”) is now accepting submissions from those interested in serving as a 2015 APABA-SV Officer, Board Member, Committee Chair or Committee Member. General requirements, responsibilities and a list of positions are provided below. Please submit your Statement of Interest by 5:00 pm on Sunday, November 30, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note reference code “Nom2015” in the RE line of your e-mail.
Your Statement of Interest (65 words or less) should indicate the position(s) desired, qualifications (prior service/activity with APABA-SV, other bar associations, community work, goals for the position, etc.) and any other relevant information.
If you presently serve as a Board Member, Committee Chair or Committee Member of APABA-SV, you must also submit a Statement of Interest if you would like to return to the same or different position(s).
Officer / Board General Requirements and Responsibilities:
- The Board manages "the business and affairs of the Association . . ."
- Must be a current dues-paid member of APABA-SV
- Must be an attorney in good standing with the bar of those states where he or she is licensed to practice
- Attend and participate in monthly Board meetings, either via phone or in person when possible (two or more unexcused absences may result in removal from the Board)
- Support APABA-SV events and fundraising activities (including using best efforts to secure sponsorship for at least one table at APABA-SV's annual banquet)
- Participate in at least one major Board initiative (may be in conjunction with a committee project/event)
- Serve on at least one APABA-SV committee
Committee Chair / Member General Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Each committee must be co-chaired by at least one Board member
- Co-chairs must plan and lead committee meetings and activities
- Co-chairs must provide monthly reports to the Board on committee activities
- Committee members must be current dues-paid members of APABA-SV
- Open to all attorneys, law school students or graduates, and government officials who agree to abide by APABA-SV's Bylaws
- Attend committee meetings and actively participate in at least one major committee activity
- President. The President oversees and guides the business affairs of APABA-SV, subject to the direction and control of the Board.
- Vice President, External. The External Vice President occupies a public-facing role and is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with the greater community, including other bar associations, community and public interest groups, etc. The External Vice President serves as APABA-SV’s “secretary of state” and performs the duties of the President in the absence of the acting President.
- Vice President, Internal (two positions). Two Internal Vice Presidents assist the President in management of APABA-SV by overseeing its committees.
- Vice President, Communications. The Vice President of Communications oversees the APABA-SV’s public communications and related committees, including oversight of the bar association’s website, regular newsletters, press releases, etc.
- Secretary. The Secretary oversees adherence to APABA-SV’s Bylaws and the integrity of Officer and Board actions through proper record-keeping, provision of notice, and other duties incident to the office.
- Treasurer. The Treasurer serves as principal accounting and financial officer for APABA-SV.
*and any other officer(s) deemed appropriate by the Board
- Banquet / Annual Dinner
- Civil Rights
- Community Service
- In-House Counsel
- Intellectual Property
- Judiciary & Endorsements
- Membership & Events
- New Lawyers
- Small Firm / Solo Practitioner
- Women In Law
*and any other committee(s) deemed appropriate by the Board
Statements of Interest should be submitted to email@example.com. For more information on the Association and its Board, Officers, and committees, please navigate to those respective pages. Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.