February 17, 2015 Newsletter
In this Issue...
There are significant number of U.S. trained lawyers with Chinese background in the Bay Area. Many of us speak and write Chinese, and some were raised and educated in Greater China. This panel discussion focuses on career advancement for these lawyers, who faces unique challenges and opportunities due to our background. Our panelists will share with the audience their recent experiences working in China as well as tips and advice on making career choices about practicing in the US vs practicing in China. Specific topics include:
● Current legal job market in Greater China for U.S. trained lawyers – where are the opportunities (in-house and law firm) now?
● The outlook for the legal job market in Greater China in the next few years – what are the likely skill sets that employers in the Greater China will seek after?
● How can the U.S. trained lawyers take advantage of their Chinese background in their practices in the U.S.?
● How to provide great services to companies based in Greater China in their U.S. operations?
● Parker Zhang - Chief Patent Counsel/Business Assistant to CEO
● Evan Jowers - Head of Asian Recruiting, Kinney Recruiting
● Yan Zhang - Partner, Haynes Boone, Shanghai and SV Offices
● Meng Lai - Partner, Megstone Law
Mike Farn, a partner at Fenwick & West, will be the moderator.
When: 6:30pm - 8:30pm, February 23, 2015 (Monday)
Where: Fenwick & West LLP, 801 California St., Mountain View, CA 94041
This event is free for CALOBA members. A $5 fee will be charged for non-members.
Light dinner will be provided.
Sunday, February 22, 2015
APABA-SV Women In Law Committee invites you to join us for our first 2015 Power Hour - Yoga & Conversations.
10 a.m. Outdoor Yoga:
11 a.m. Coffee Conversations:
Join us for APABA-SV Women in Law's first Power Hour of 2015! We have invited Luba Gloukhov, a yoga instructor to lead us in an invigorating 1-hour outdoor yoga session. Afterwards, we will gather at a nearby coffee shop to network and relax. We hope to see you there!
**Please bring your yoga mats and wear comfortable clothing**
Monday, March 2, 2015
Want to make a great impression as a new lawyer or a summer associate? Interested in meeting or catching up with other young attorneys and law students? Just looking for something to do on a Monday? Come to the inaugural New Lawyers and Summer Success event!
We will have an hour-long panel featuring law firm attorneys and in-house counsel who will share their insights on how to excel as a new lawyer or summer associate, followed by a mixer. Food and drinks will be served.
Please RSVP here.
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Due to popular demand, the Community Service Committee is hosting another food sort with the Second Harvest Food Bank on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Cypress Center in San Jose! We will be sorting food, which will later be distributed to needy families in our community. If you are interested in volunteering, please RSVP here. Spaces are limited. Thank you for donating your time!
If you are unable to volunteer, another great way to contribute is to donate online: https://www.shfb.org/page.aspx?pid=714. It almost goes without saying, but every little bit helps!
• 2/23 Mon 6-8 PM - ALA Training for Initial and Renewal DACA Workshop at Sacred Heart, 1381 S 1st St, San Jose
• 2/25 Wed 6-8 PM - ALA Training for Initial and Renewal DACA Workshop at Sacred Heart, 1381 S 1st St, San Jose
• 2/28 Sat 9:30 AM - ALA hosts Initial DACA Workshop (Required trainings are provided on 2/23 and 2/25 at 6-8 pm) at Mexican Consulate, 2125 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA 95131
• 3/7 Sat 9:30 AM - ALA hosts Renewal DACA Workshop (Required trainings are provided on 2/23 and 2/25 at 6-8pm) at Mexican Consulate, 2125 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA 95131
On June 15, 2012, President Obama created a new policy calling for deferred action for certain undocumented youths who came to the U.S. as children. The program is known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (“DACA”). Come to the training sessions on February 23 (Monday) or February 25 (Wednesday) to learn more about DACA and how you can help! Then put your knowledge and skills to use by helping out immigrant youths in need at the Initial DACA Workshop on February 28 (Saturday) and at the Renewal DACA Workshop on March 7 (Saturday).
*You only need to attend 1 of the 2 training sessions (Monday or Wednesday), not both.
*You don’t need to commit to both DACA Workshops, though it is recommended that you attend the Initial DACA Workshop if you plan on attending the Renewal DACA Workshop.
To sign up, or for more information, please email email@example.com.
Please view the DACA Workshop flyer here.
Numerous positions available in the San Francisco Bay Area. For position descriptions and information on how to apply, please click the following links:
For other job postings, please visit: http://www.apabasv.com/job-opportunities/
Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley
Interested in learning more about APABA Silicon Valley? Subscribe to our newsletter and start receiving information about our upcoming events! We look forward to seeing you at the next event!