Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community. From Silicon Valley to Napa Valley, we help clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. Our clients include the working poor, families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Through our regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally-recognized Legal Advice Line, BayLegal prevents domestic violence and sexual assault, increases economic stability, protects consumers, expands access to healthcare, and prevents homelessness. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
We are seeking an Attorney for our centralized health unit located in Oakland, CA. This person will be part of a team that provides consumer assistance, legal advice, brief service and extended representation to eligible clients with health care access issues. We are interested in candidates who can demonstrate a working knowledge and commitment to health care related issues, including Medicare, Medi-Cal and managed care. Candidates shall have a demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy and are required to pass a background check for this position.
- Membership with the California State Bar or law school graduate awaiting Bar results
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a close knit team as well as independently
- Strong organizational and computer skills
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, ever changing and high pressure environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Bilingual fluency a plus; Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin preferred
- Project management experience
- Outreach, training and education experience
- Ability to travel throughout the Bay Area counties preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; long term disability; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; law school loan repayment; bilingual stipends; and 401k retirement plan. Applications: Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Please send cover letter, diversity statement (see BayLegal.org/employment for details), resume, references, and writing sample to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Health Consumer Center Attorney in your application.